Thursday, February 19, 2009

Nepal!

Eric and I made it to Nepal after a few quite long and bumpy bus rides. I am finally feeling totally better, I was never really sick just not feeling great for a while. The rest of our time in Varanasi was good, tho I spent a lot of it laying around in the hotel, but it was good to rest for a while. We took two nice boat rides down the river along the ghats which were pretty cool. The ghats are pretty crazy, full of people bathing in the river as well as funerals and cremations, and boats and tourists. Pieter left for Australia so now its just Eric and I for the rest of Nepal and India.

Our first stop in Nepal was Chitwan Park and it was great to get out of the city for a while. Its of course pretty touristy, but nice all the same. We did an elephant ride, a jeep ride, a canoe ride and a long walk with a guide. We didn't see any tigers, but we did see rhinos, two kinds of dear, wild pigs, lots of birds including kingfishers and marabou storks which are huge. After hanging out in Chitwan for three days we headed to Kathmandu which is where we are now. Since we are not going to get a chance to do any trekking we decided to splash out and do a mountain flight around the Himalayas which was pretty awesome. So far I have really enjoyed Nepal, its more different from India then I expected. Its a lot less hectic and crazy even in Kathmandu, I'm glad that we decided to come even if its only for a week, hopefully I can make it back some day.
Tomorrow we take a bus to the border and then two trains heading south to Madras!

No comments:

Post a Comment