Saturday, January 24, 2009

India and the end of Tokyo

I'm in india! The last few days in Tokyo were pretty full so I didn't get a chance to up date. We managed to get seats to the 11th day of the sumo tournament which was awesome! I will post some pictures soon, but I don't have my camera stuff with me at the moment. Sumo is a pretty crazy sport, there is tons of ceremony involved and the actual fights only like about 15 seconds, it was a cool experience tho. It was rainy and dreary the last days were were there, and cold but we still ended up doing some more sightseeing. We went to the electronics district which is where you go if you want some crazy cell phones or tiny laptops or robots, although we couldn't actually find any robots but i hear they are there somewhere. We also went to the imperial palace, which even tho it was rainy it was really nice. You can't actually go into it, but the gardens outside we really great. On our last night we got some great veggie tempura which i was pretty excited about.
The trip to India was pretty uneventful for me, although i think that eric had some excitement along the way in china, but we we managed to meet up in the end. My friend Pieter is here too, we actually meet in India 13 years ago with our familys so its pretty cool to be traveling here together again. We are in Delhi at the moment but leaving in the morning to Jaipur which will be good i think. Delhi is fun, but its a bit much for me really. Walking down the street takes effort to avoid getting hit by cars, motorcycles, rickshaws, cows none of which follow normal traffic rules. A cow actually head butted me the first morning i was here, haha, now i know to get out of the way. I'm actually suprised that the poverty that i've seen so far isn't quite a bad as i remember it. Its still bad and a bit hard to get used to, but overall it seems like it might be better then it was 13 years ago.
We have done some nice sightseeing, although because this weekend is Republic day lots of things are closed, like the Red Fort we were planning to do yesterday. We went out of the city for a bit instead to Qutb Minar, which was very nice and good to get a way from the crowd a bit. We also went to the huge famous mosque today which was also pretty cool. The food of course is great, its funny because thats what i remember disliking so much last time i was here, but now its perfect. I got a big box of sweets today and ate them all in one sitting, haha. I've given up trying to do the vegan thing here, all the best food has dairy in it, but vegetarian is no problem at all. In fact the menus have all the normal food and then a separate section for the non-veg food, which is great. So I'll try to update again after we leave delhi, but so far India has been a bit hectic but great!

1 comment:

  1. Yah, I found it remarkable that "veg" was the default in India. I guess it makes sense, but is definitely different from the American southwest. :)

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete